Friday 28 June 2013

Wing-it Hat

Dear Lynn,
Great to get your post! I love hearing -- and seeing -- what you've been up to and what's on your needles.

Panopticon. Wow, I honestly have NEVER heard that word in my life. It's on par with borborygmus, or greige, but even those words are gaining popularity. I looked it up. Very interesting and I wonder about Franklin's thought process that led him to name his blog that. I enjoyed looking at the blog and I'll put it on my list of blogs I frequent. He's got an excellent mind!

On my needles...well currently at THIS very moment, nothing. But here's something that just came off my HOOK...

It started out with this skein of lovely Rowan Colourscapes yarn, colorway designed by Kaffe Fassett (any other Kaffe Fassett fans out there? He is absolutely a GOD of colorwork!). 
I thought, well, I'll just start crocheting a flower. Then one flower led to two flowers. Then that led to an idea. What if I could connect these flowers into a hat? So onwards I went, boldly moving forth into unknown crocheting territory.
 I connected all the flowers and then blocked the hat. Here it is drying on the cookie rack...
It looks a little bit like the hexagon socks you are knitting...wow, they look great in the Noro sock yarn you are using.

I used absolutely every bit of that skein for the hat, but it may need a tassle - or a pom pom to tie all the colors together. What do you think? It just so happens I have another skein.

I think in retrospect, I would have preferred to mix up the colors a bit more. It's a bit too linear.

Other than that, I have some UFO's (Un-Finished Objects) laying around including a crocheted blanket, a poncho, a vest, and another hat...eeks! I really don't like UFO's. It goes against my nature.

And, I have a commission for a Dancing Adelies hat in forest green, black, and white. I love commissions! I love when people ask me to make a one-of-a-kind hat just for them, with the colors they like. For me, it's one of the biggest joys of knitting.

Wow, I LOVE the projects you are doing...love all that gorgeous, deep blue. The stripey hat looks awesome. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Knit on Sister!
Love, Christine


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the hat looks great just as it is without a tassel or pompom. It might take away from the beautiful work on the flowers. I love the colors. It DOES look a wee bit like the hexagon socks and it's an uber cool hat. Look at you creating in crochet! Carry on. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?